In June, 2017, Chris Burkard will be leading a unique workshop aboard the amazing vessel Aurora Arktika in one of his favorite locations: Iceland. Traveling aboard the Aurora Arktika, participants will journey to Hornstrandir - Iceland’s northernmost peninsula. In addition to being an excellent location for seeing the Northern Lights, Hornstrandir is also home to some of the most rugged and beautiful terrain in Iceland.
DAYS 1 & 2:
Learn to walk like penguins. Eat sardines and whale fat. Question the meaning of life.
DAYS 3 & 4:
Battle sea sickness. Drop camera into water by accident. Eat baby seals. Find God.
DAYS 5 & 6:
See the Northern Lights. Cry. Call your Mom and apologize. For everything. Take only one photograph. Best photograph you’ll ever take. Retire from photography.
Seriously though... the itinerary is loose and is going to be built around the weather. We have a huge list of activities we will be participating in and shooting everyday. This workshop is the opportunity to shoot alongside me while we both strive to create the best images we can. We will concept out assignments and work on how to best execute them. Each day will have options for different activities. It is important that those who apply have a decent understanding of their camera and feel safe participating in any of these activities.
This workshop will include daily instruction. There will be group sessions as well as one-on-one reviews and instruction. We will be covering some of these topics in detail. The students will be required to work on mock assignments given by me. Daily critiques will be given as well!
- Shooting for a magazine, client or brand
- Social media tips and best practices.
- Photographic techniques and best practices
- Working with light / photo theory
- Editing in Lightroom
- Building your digital library
- Working with editors
- Building your personal brand
- How to optimize your camera
Including but not limited to:
- Day Hiking
- Wildlife Observations: Arctic Foxes, Puffins, and more
- Polar Plunges in the Arctic Ocean
- Stellar Home-Cook Iceland Cuisine, prepared by the Captain
- Sailing through the beautiful Westfjords
- All transportation within Iceland Bunk accommodation on Aurora Arktika (due to the nature of this trip and this vessel, participants will have individual bunks in a communal space - no private accommodations are available)
- Personal, one-on-one photographic instruction and guidance from Chris.
- Image review sessions and tips on processing your files
- Access to parts of the Iceland coast that most people never get to see
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- Airfare and Travelers Insurance (required)
- Tips for boat crew and guides