Colorado Adventure Workshop
Sept 2-7 (6 Days)
In September 2018, Chris Burkard will be leading an intensive photography workshop in colorful Colorado.
Participants will experience life on a working cattle ranch while enjoying high-end amenities and gourmet food. Guests are hosted in one of the comfortable lodge rooms at the historic Zapata ranch headquarters. Wake up to a hot breakfast served in the rustic dining room before heading out for a morning horseback ride.
Horseback activities can include working and moving cattle, exploring the surrounding San Luis Valley, venturing into the adjacent Great Sand Dunes National Park, or participating in a specially-organized overnight pack trip into the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. “On-the-ground” activities include hikes, fly-fishing the local streams, birding, wildlife watching, geology tours, and more. Along the way, guests learn about how to operate the ranches, and the natural surroundings that make the valley so spectacular.
*There will be only 17 spots available for this workshop.
Regarding the places you'll explore and experience on your visit, it's totally depends on the weather at that time. It will be early autumn in Colorado with generally mild temperatures. With Indian summer days, and chilly nights be prepared for the occasional fall rain or even storm. It’s impossible to give a 100% accurate itinerary but the tentative itinerary is as follows:
- Horseback riding among herds of two thousand wild bison
- Hiking and exploring the tallest sand dunes in North America
- Astrophotography of the milky-way and starry sky
- Activities will be curated based on the group's preference
The itinerary is flexible and will be built around the weather. We have an extensive list of activities we will be participating in and shooting everyday. This workshop is the opportunity to shoot alongside me while we both strive to create the best images we can. We will concept out assignments and work on how to best execute them. Each day will have options for different activities. It is important that those who apply have a decent understanding of their camera and feel safe participating in any of these activities.
This workshop will include daily instruction and is structured around 7 course modules. There will be group sessions as well as one-on-one reviews and instruction. We will be covering some of these topics in detail. The students will be required to work on mock assignments given by me. Daily critiques will be given as well!
- Shooting for a magazine, client or brand
- Social media tips and best practices.
- Photographic techniques and best practices
- Working with light / photo theory
- Editing in Lightroom
- Building your digital library
- Working with editors
- Building your personal brand
- How to optimize your camera
Including but not limited to:
- Horseback Riding
- Wildlife Observations: Elk, Pronghorn, Coyotes, Prairie dogs, Badgers, and a wealth of bird species.
- Exploring Great Sand Dunes National Park
- Hiking on the 103,000 acres ranch
- Observation of the two thousand wild Bison that roam the property
- UFO Watching (Not even kidding... or am I?)
- All food, accommodation, and transportation once you arrive in Colorado.
- Stay in the 17 bedroom lodge with access to modern amenities and hospitality services.
- Personal, one-on-one photographic instruction and guidance from Chris.
- Image review sessions and tips on processing your image files
- Access to the 103,000 acre wildlife ranch as well as neighboring Great Sand Dunes National Park which features the tallest sand dunes in North America that few people get to experience!
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- Airfare Travel and trip insurance to and from Colorado,
- Tips for Ranchlands Staff and Crew appreciated
Transportation to and from Zapata Ranch NOT included. Once on the property transportation will be provided on/around the 103,000 acres as well as to and from neighboring National Parks.
5305 State Highway 150
Mosca, Colorado 81146
Alamosa, CO - 30 Minutes
Colorado Springs, CO - 2.5 Hours
Denver, CO - 4 Hours
*Final payment is due by July 2nd , 2018. At this time the deposit becomes non-refundable.*
"To say that the trip to Greenland with Chris was amazing, inspiring and the best thing I have possibly ever done is an understatement. Chris and his team are an exceptionally creative, professional and talented bunch. My photography has come on in leaps and bounds. The captain and his crew on our beautiful home for the week were so welcoming, accommodating and knowledgeable. It was definitely a trip of self discovery, fun and adventure and I have made new friends for life."
- Emma K.
"I started the trip with a decent grasp of photography fundamentals and editing. By the end, I had been completely transformed and now have an intuitive understanding of focus, aperture, and focal length like I’ve never had before. Lightroom color correcting now makes total sense to me as well. Amazing experience."
- Judson V.